Adolescent Therapy and Teletherapy
The teenage years can be really tough to navigate. Play Therapy Melbourne works with adolescents – late teens up to the age of 18 years to offer support around many of the concerns and challenges they may be experiencing.
A common frustration parents often report is a reluctance for their teens to engage with support. We try and make this as manageable as possible by facilitating both in-clinic and online sessions (teletherapy). Clinic sessions involve an approach that is comfortable and age appropriate for adolescents. For example the therapist may utilise talking therapy, art therapy or sand tray therapy. For those teens who aren’t ready for face-to-face therapy, or who are unable to leave the home, we offer teletherapy. This involves either skype, phone or online chat sessions.
For a teen who may be resistant to regular therapy, Teletherapy is a great way to help him get used to the therapeutic relationship and to help them see how it could benefit.
Adolescent therapy can help teens with:
- Identity issues
- Difficulties managing anxiety and/or anger
- Challenging and/or risk taking behaviours
- Friendship issues and/or bullying
- Depression and other mood disorders
- Family breakdown and conflict
- Parent and adolescent relationship challenges
- Grief and loss
- Learning difficulties
- Exam and study stress
- School challenges
- Self-harming thoughts or actions
- Self-esteem and confidence issues